I have been holding off on posting this for quite some time now because honestly, I feel like it needs a video tutorial. I am going to do my best with what I have at the moment though, and try to explain in words how to properly apply makeup while wearing lash extensions. I have heard many people tell me lash extensions do not work for them due to the everyday makeup they use. This is NOT true. You just have to learn different techniques, that way to keep your new lash extensions untouched, and most importantly still on your face. I am going to explain step by step how I apply heavy makeup with extensions, these techniques have kept my extensions flawless, and absolutely stunning. These new techniques may get some getting used to, as you will have to step outside the box but I promise you that your lashes and a lash artist will thank you!
Step 1: Applying Eye Makeup
When applying eye makeup the most important advice that I can give you is that you need to avoid touching the actual lashes with any tools that you are using to apply your makeup. I highly recommend using high-quality brushes (only due to the fact that they do not shed, and will not get stray hairs stuck in your lashes) , as these are the easiest to manipulate around the eye area. Also, a magnified mirror helps SO much, it is worth the investment.
- Primer: When applying your eye shadow primer to your lids, tilt your head backward. Use a synthetic brush to apply the primer all over your lids, keeping your head tilted backward, and using the brush pointing downwards will avoid your lashes. Always be sure to be very gentle around your lash line. You can also use your fingers to apply this product by keeping your head tilted backward, and apply the product gently from your lids to your brow with your eyes closed.
- Eye shadow: After applying the primer be sure to set it with a bone, or natural colored shadow to make the blending process easier. Use a fluffy blending brush (example: Sigma E40) and tilt your head backward again, looking up towards the sky. Take your brush, and gently apply the shadow holding your brush in a downward angle away from your lashes blending from your lids to eyebrows. Do the same with the crease color, except to be sure to only keep the color in the crease I would use a pointed crease brush for this application (Example MAC 217). When you get to the lid color we will need to switch the technique a bit. To give a more defined lid you are going to want to tilt your head DOWN slightly, stretch your eyelids, and pull the outside skin of your lid slightly. This will make your lid flatter, and easier to get a defined look without touching your lashes. Using a flat shadow brush (Example: MAC 224) pack your lid color onto your lid with the brush still pointing downwards. Blend as necessary.
- Eyeliner: Did you know that when you are rocking your lash extensions you are not able to wear waterproof makeup products? I could hear some of you gasp at the sound of that all the way from across the internet! Thankfully there are many products available to you that are not only safe for your extensions but also help to improve the quality of your lashes. Ask your lash artist about these products at your next appointment. Another trick I like to use (if I am going for a bold wing or a look with thicker liner) is that I will very thinly line my lash line with the Lash Food product, and then use my normal products on top of where I placed the thin line. I know everyone has their favorite eyeliners out there, and don’t think you have to give that up when you get your extensions. I also like to set my eyeliner with shadow, if you do not own any lash safe liner products you can always use the shadow to line your eyes near your lashes instead. Now when applying the eyeliner I like to use the same technique as i use while applying my lid. Tip your head downwards, and stretch out your eye to the side. Keep the product facing downwards, and away from your lashes.
- Mascara: ALWAYS USE A MASCARA INTENDED TO USE WITH EYELASH EXTENSIONS, NEVER USE ANY OTHER KINDS OF MASCARA AS THEY COULD CAUSE CLUMPING, AND WILL DAMAGE YOUR EXTENSIONS.
Step 2: Foundation and Concealer
- Foundation and Concealer: When applying your foundation be sure to stay away from your lashes, sometimes we do this step so quickly we are not aware that we may actually be getting makeup on the eyelash extensions them self. I like to use a beauty blender or a small kabuki brush since they are both very precise.
Step 3: Eyebrows, Contouring, Blush, Bronzer, Highlighter, Lipstick, and Setting Spray
- When it comes to the finishing touches on your makeup, these things should not have much effect on your lashes. You can apply these products just as you would with your own natural lashes, as they stay clear of the lash area.
I hope that this blog entry has helped you to better understand how to put on makeup properly when you are rocking your gorgeous lash extensions. Always remember, the more gentle, and careful you are with your extensions the longer they are going to last! If you are in the Orlando area and looking for THE BEST Lash Lounge around be sure to check out Bella Lash Lounge. They also carry all these awesome products that are SAFE for your lash extensions so get to shopping ladies! May your lashes be beautiful, healthy, and long-lasting.
Stay tuned for an upcoming blog post on how to REMOVE makeup properly with lash extensions. If anyone has any questions feel free to leave them in the comments below.
Call or text us today (321)276-0863 – Book your appointment online at www.brushedartistry.com